Last year I decided I should make a wreath out of all our leftover ornaments. Even went as far as to google “how to ornament wreath + wire hanger.” But it never happened. I figured it wouldn’t this year either…until I found a wire ring at a discount store (yea!). Now, if we were in the states, I would just go to the Hobby Lobby and buy a wire wreath form. But here in Germany those are near impossible to find. So, pretty excited to find the wire ring. So excited I bought two.
Googled it again. Everything online basically goes like this: take a coat hanger, make it into a circle, thread your ornaments on and, bam!, awesome wreath (followed by some beautiful wreath pics). Well, not quite that simple. If I would’ve had to twist a hanger into a circle, I would’ve smashed all the ornaments in frustration.
Here’s what I used:
1 wire circle
20 gauge picture wire
Bunch of old ornaments (mine are glass from Crate & Barrel years back)
Fake poinsettias (mine were “bushes” I got for 90% off at Hobby Lobby after xmas sale one year)
Total cost: 1.65€ for the wire ring
This ends up being two sided so great for hanging in a window. Not so great for hanging on a door. Something to think about.
Instructions how I did it:
I thought, since the online tutorials just threaded the ornaments on, and mine are still have paperclips attached (as ornament hangers), I can just attach them that way and they’ll be good. Not so. The ornaments barely made it all the way around the circle. And you could see the paper clips which looked ugly. Lesson 1: If you do this method, have 3x the ornaments you think you’ll need (and be aware that the wreath will be heavy).
Instead I decided to use wire to attach them. Not wanting to cut a bazillon 3″ pices of wire., I used a length of wire to attach several. Twisted it around the frame, stuck an ornament on, twisted it around, ornament, repeat.
I added fake poinsettias to fill in the gaps and give it some volume (plus I was worried I wouldn’t have enough ornaments). I pulled the “flower” part from the bush, poked a hole in the plastic part of the stem and wired it on to the frame.
After it was all covered, I went back and wired on the green and yellow ornaments individually. Then used the small purple ornaments to cover some of the wire ends that were sticking out. Just made a loop with the wire end and stuck a purple ball on (take the hangers/caps off).
If you decide to make one, some things that might be helpful:
1. If you can pull the caps off your ornaments, glue the cap to the glass ball part FIRST. While I was making mine, the balls kept popping off their caps. So I had this detached ball that I had to find the rest of (wired somewhere to the wreath). Kind of a pain.
2. If you use a length of wire to attach several ornaments like I did, work in small sections. Makes it easier if you need to slide things around and readjust anything. Leave the wire ends sticking out so you can see where one section begins/ends.
3. Don’t put too many ornaments clustered tightly together. If you’re going to come back and add some “feature” ornaments, this will leave space for them. I didn’t—that’s why mine kept popping off (see #1).
4. Wire scratches tables. If you have a nice table (I don’t), put something over it.
It took for freaking ever to do and I’ll probably be cleaning up glitter until next Christmas, but I’m really happy with the way it turned out.